Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Mitch Kapor's Weblog: Does the open source model apply beyond software?

Mitch Kapor's Weblog: Does the open source model apply beyond software?:

Open source heralds a global paradigm shift in social and economic value creation of enormous proportions, the extent of which is almost completely unappreciated. If I am right, then we are in for interesting times as the irresistible force of open source meets the immoveable object of corporate entrenchment. There will be enormous economic dislocations with opportunities for new undertakings and threats to the established order. Mental categories we take so much for granted we don't even know we have them will become obsolete.

Interesting read. Need time to digest and respond more thoughfully. I will say that I've been a strong proponent (very vocally since March) of incorporating some of the philosophy of open source into the work we do at CompuMentor and TechSoup. I'm trying to understand how I can use this to help make my case.

(in: open_source, practices, business_models)