Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Technology as an assistive device

Last night, I went to a screening of Freedom Machines:

Freedom Machines is scheduled for broadcast September 14, 2004 on the PBS award-winning series POV. The film plugs the viewer into the largely unrealized power represented by assistive technology (AT) through the stories of an intriguing group of people, who are achieving exceptional things through their desires for ordinary lives.

The film impressed me, not so much because of the technology that is available, but because of the ways in which the promise of the technology is ignored -- along with the people who use it.

I highly recommend it. Find out when it's showing. If you can, attend on of the related events. Heck, host one. And don't forget to check out the resources at both Freedom Machines and the POV site.

All which reminds me to point folks to dive into accessibility. I plan on starting my 30 days to a more accessible web site on Monday. We'll see how blogger/blogspot do.