Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Making Room for the Third World in the Second Superpower

Making Room for the Third World in the Second Superpower:

It's my intent in this essay to explore the challenges we face in ensuring that the community growing around online newsgathering, deliberation and action includes the entire world, especially the developing world. I hope to flag situations where techniques and behaviors appropriate for the communities currently served by these tools will likely fail in developing nations. And I attempt to recognize efforts to ensure that these tools have as broad applicability as possible, as well as efforts in the developing world that parallel developments in the online community space.


I haven't read and digested all of this essay yet but I'm looking forward to it. I've been spending a lot of time thinking about both weblogs and the digital divide laterly and trying to get them to meet into some kind of a story. I'm hoping this essay will expand my understanding of the issues. I'm also interested in exploring the footnotes.

(via boingboing)